Dembele out for three to four weeks
Barcelona forward Ousmane Dembele has suffered another hamstring injury and will be out of action for between three and four weeks. The 20-year was hurt in Barcelona's 4-2 comeback win away to Real Sociedad on Sunday, which was just his fourth appearance following his return from four months out with another hamstring injury. The fitness problems have blighted the start of his career at Barca following his €105m move from Dortmund in August that could rise to as much as €145m.
Valverde plays down Dembele injury concerns
Barcelona boss Ernesto Valverde played down fears Ousmane Dembele had picked up a fresh injury after his side's 5-0 win over Celta Vigo on Thursday. The Frenchman started the game on the bench but replaced Lionel Messi in the second half and set up Ivan Rakitic's goal late on. At the end of the game Dembele appeared to be in some discomfort but Valverde said after the game there was no big problem. Having been out for such a long time the club will be wary that he may pick up a niggle, but it sounds as though he's ok and should be fit for Sunday.
Real Mad. 11.1.18
Ramos and Benzema out
Sergio Ramos and Karim Benzema are both ruled out of Real Madrid's La Liga clash with Villarreal on Saturday. Ramos is sidelined after picking up a calf injury during training last week, with the Real Madrid captain initially expected to be out for up to three weeks. Benzema continues his recovery from a muscle problem. Dani Carvajal is back from suspension while a number of key first team players are expected to return after being rested for the Copa del Rey clash with Numancia on Wednesday.
Atletico M 10.1.18
Costa loses red card appeal
Diego Costa is to serve a one-match ban after his appeal against the red card shown to him in Atletico Madrid's 2-0 win over Getafe was rejected. The Spain international striker was punished for jumping into the crowd during the 2-0 win over Getafe last weekend, earning a second yellow card. Costa will miss Saturday's La Liga game against Eibar.
Coutinho out for three weeks
Philippe Coutinho will be sidelined for about three weeks after his Barcelona medical revealed a thigh injury. It means that his debut will be delayed and he is likely to miss the upcoming Copa del Rey fixture with Celta Vigo and league matches against Real Sociedad, Real Betis and Alaves. The Brazil international missed Liverpool's last two matches in the build up to becoming the third most expensive player of all-time but it was thought he was feigning injury.
L. Palmas 7.1.18
Samper to undergo surgery
Sergi Samper has been ruled out for the rest of the season after suffering a horrible ankle injury during Las Palmas' clash with Eibar on Saturday. The midfielder has suffered a "fracture of the fibula and rupture of the ligament of the left ankle" and will undergo surgery in Barcelona on Sunday.
Samper joined Las Palmas on a season-long loan in August but he has struggled for game time with the La Liga team. Saturday's game was just his second La Liga start.
Coutinho's debut could be delayed by injury
Liverpool and Barcelona announced last night that an agreement had been struck on a £142m deal, making Coutinho the third most expensive transfer. Barcelona face Celta Vigo in the Copa del Rey on Thursday then Real Sociedad on Sunday in La Liga. But according to Mundo Deportivo, Coutinho is an injury doubt for both games. The report says Coutinho will be assessed by Barcelona's medical team on Monday.
Real Mad. 6.1.18
Ramos out for three weeks
Real Madrid's Captain Sergio Ramos has picked up a muscle injury in training. The calf muscle injury will have Ramos sidelined for three weeks per the Offical Real Madrid Website. Ramos underwent tests Friday morning with Madrid later releasing an official statement: "Following tests carried out on Sergio Ramos by the Sanitas Real Madrid Medical Services, he had been diagnosed with a muscular injury in the soleus of his left leg. His recovery will continue to be assessed."
Dembele makes return as Barca held in Vigo
Barcelona's record signing Ousmane Dembele made his long-awaited return from injury as the Catalan giants drew the first leg of their Copa del Rey tie with Celta Vigo 1-1. Dembele had been sidelined since September after suffering a hamstring injury in just his third appearance for the club. He was given the all-clear to return to action earlier this week, though, and came on for the final 20 minutes against Celta. The 20-year-old was unable to find a winner on the night, but Barca will nevertheless be optimistic of progressing to the quarter-finals in next Thursday's second leg at the Nou Camp.
Real Mad. 4.1.18
Ronaldo rested for Copa del Rey
Cristiano Ronaldo, Toni Kroos, Luka Modric, Marcelo and Sergio Ramos were excluded from the squad for the Copa del Rey tie against Numancia on Thursday. Karim Benzema, who has struggled badly for form this season, suffered a hamstring strain in the 3-0 Clasico defeat at home to Barcelona in December and will not be involved. Gareth Bale has been picked though, as the Wales international seeks to regain full fitness after battling calf and hamstring issues in an interrupted first half of the 2017-18 campaign.
Atletico M 4.1.18
Atletico to assess Diego Costa injury
Atletico Madrid are to determine on Thursday if Diego Costa will require medical examinations to the right knee he injured on a goalscoring second debut in the 4-0 Copa del Rey rout of Lleida Esportiu. Costa was finally able to make his return for Atleti following their transfer ban in September, with the La Liga club having re-signed the striker from Chelsea. The Brazil-born Spain international made an immediate impact in his first match for Atletico since 2014, scoring the club's third goal in the opening leg within four minutes of his introduction as Diego Simeone's men edged closer to the quarter-finals.
Dembele set for Copa del Rey comeback
Barcelona have confirmed that Ousmane Dembele has been cleared to rejoin the first team after enduring a hellish start to life at Camp Nou thanks to a serious injury. Dembele became the Catalans' most expensive player in history over the summer when he was signed from Borussia Dortmund for €105 million. The France international was purchased as a replacement for Neymar, but went down with a thigh muscle tear in just his third appearance back in September.