Rossi will undergo another knee surgery
Fiorentina have confirmed that striker Giuseppe Rossi will need further surgery on his troublesome right knee. The Italy international has seen his career blighted by serious injuries, with the latest setback meaning he faces a fourth lengthy spell out due to operations on the same joint.
He will now have keyhole surgery after receiving a negative diagnosis from a specialist in London following a reoccurrence of knee trouble in pre-season training. Rossi has netted 17 goals in 25 appearances for Vincenzo Montella's side, but has missed a total of 52 competitive fixtures already since signing for the club. There is currently no clear timescale for his latest lay-off.
Vidic gets a one-match ban
Inter defender Nemanja Vidic got a one-match ban after the red card that he recieved during yesterday's game against Torino. There had been concerns that Vidic would be in for a longer suspension because he was dismissed for what the referee considered to be sarcastic applause. That view was backed by the disciplinary commission, who said in their report Vidic aimed towards the referee "an obvious and ironic applause." However the suspension will only be for one game.
Minor injury troubles for Osvaldo
Inter striker Pablo Daniel Osvaldo will not be starting the premiere game against Torino, due to a minor problems with his groin muscles. Not a serious injury-matter for the Italian attacker who still will be in the squad and sit on the bench, ready to be an offensive force to use as a subsitution during the game. But from start, Mateo Kovacic will play behind Mauro Icardi while Gary Medel will take the central role in midfield.
Pazzini ruled out
Striker Giampaolo Pazzini is out of Milan's Serie A clash with Lazio after picking up a muscular problem during training. The club medics said the extent of the injury will be evaluated over the next few days.
Fernando Torres is not included in the squad, as he hasn't completed his transfer from Chelsea yet. Riccardo Montolivo is a long-term absentee, while Mattia De Sciglio and Philippe Mexes sit out bans.
Pirlo sidelined for a month
Juventus playmaker Andrea Pirlo will miss the first month of Serie A action after picking up a hip injury. "Thirty days should be necessary for a complete recovery," the club said in a statement on Thursday. The 35-year-old midfielder hurt his right hip during a friendly against league rivals AC Milan.
Flu concerns threaten Juventus' season start
A number of Juventus players could miss this weekend's clash against Verona after contracting a flu virus. Key players including Fernando Llorente, Roberto Pereyra and Sebastian Giovinco, as well as coach Massimiliano Allegri, have all been taken ill with flu symptoms. Juventus have other injury concerns this weekend with Andrea Pirlo continuing to work separately from the other players after receiving a knock to his thigh during a recent game.
Rossi out of season opener
Fiorentina striker Giuseppe Rossi is out of season opening game against Roma after sustaining a knee injury during training. Fiorentina released a statement: "The tests done have excluded any muscle injuries in his thigh. However, the exams did reveal signs of excessive pressure being put on his right knee. The player will rest and receive appropriate treatment for at least seven days before undergoing further tests." The 27-year-old has suffered with knee injuries in the past with the same right leg being damaged last season, leading to a four-month layoff.
Pegolo faces long injury layoff
Sassuolo goalkeeper Gianluca Pegolo is set to miss a significant chunk of the Serie A season after undergoing surgery on a broken leg. The 33-year-old moved to Sassuolo last year and featured regularly to help the club stay in the top flight. However, the former Siena man suffered a collision in training on Monday and it has now been confirmed that he fractured the tibia in his left leg. Pegolo underwent surgery on the injury a day later and will have a further check-up in 40 days' time. While the club have not set an initial date for his return, Pegolo appears set to face a lengthy layoff.
Balzaretti suffers another injury blow
Roma full-back Federico Balzaretti has undergone surgery again for his on-going groin problem. The 32-year-old has been struggling with this issue since November 2013 and pre-season training was interrupted once more last week. Roma have now confirmed he visited a specialist in Munich and was forced into another operation on Thursday. Balzaretti will reportedly be out of action for at least another two months.
Morata out for 7 weeks
Alvaro Morata's move to Juventus has quickly turned sour after the Spaniard injured his knee in his first training session and was ruled out for seven weeks. The 21-year-old, who completed his move from Real Madrid on Saturday, suffered a second-degree injury to the medial collateral ligament in his left knee after being injured on Monday, the Serie A champions said in a statement. Morata will miss out on the entire preseason and is unlikely to be back in action before Serie A kicks off.
Morata picks up an injury in training
Alvaro Morata limped out of training with Juventus on Monday. The Spanish forward injured his left knee whilst training with the rest of the team. The initial medical report released by Juventus indicated a sprained knee, although the Italian club added that they will have to wait for the results of further tests he will undergo on Tuesday to know the full extent of his injury. If the ankle sprain is confirmed, the former Real Madrid man could be ruled out for about a month.
Barzagli to miss start of the season
Juventus defender Andrea Barzagli will miss the start of the next season after being ruled out for three months following surgery. The 33-year-old has been suffering from a series of Achilles tendon and ankle problems and upon returning from the World Cup, underwent an operation in Finland. Barzagli will travel back to Italy on Wednesday and start a rehabilitation programme after a period of complete rest.